Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Think Pink: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

"Now, I wouldn't presume to tell a woman what a woman oughtta think, But tell her if she's gotta think: think pink—!" As Maggie Prescott said in "Funny Face", think pink! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month but just because October is almost over, doesn't mean the awareness about it should go away.


 I wanted to start with some facts from a great website called "Worldwide Breast Cancer". Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide and is also the main cause of death from cancer among women globally. 


"However, one-third of these cancer deaths could be decreased if detected and treated early. In a worldwide context, this means nearly 400,000 lives could be saved every year." How amazing is this when you think about it! Although cancer is an extremely scary thing, precaution and screening can help to save lives. Think about this not only for yourself but for the people around you. Is there someone you know of who is at the age to get a mammogram but is putting it off? This is the case for so many people and those people need the encouragement and reassurance that the earlier they begin these screenings the better! I absolutely love the "worldwide breast cancer" website, and highly recommend taking a look at it! They grow through all the steps in a way that is understandable and innovative, a typical medical website this is not! 

October is such a great time to raise awareness though and to me it seems like now, more than ever, so many brands, companies, and teams are doing their part to raise money and awareness for such an important cause. Paul Mitchell is a great example, it's cheeky but it gets the point across:)

I can say from first hand experience that you never think your life will be affected in some way by breast cancer. You hear about it on the news or see people who are fighting it and who have passed and you feel sorry for them, but never imagine it will affect you. I thought like that for the longest time but I turned out to be wrong. I know someone who has lost their mom to breast cancer. It turned out that a few years later, my mom was diagnosed. At first I was in shock and a bit of denial at first but I was mainly just scared. During that time I learned that the only thing you can do it be positive and me and my family and friends were. She is now a survivor and I am extremely thankful. After that I feel like I take the idea of breast cancer more seriously and especially awareness about it. So when October comes around I always try to think of something I can do to help raise awareness. Whether it be wearing pink everyday (I haven't done this, but I have seen it done!), taking a picture of something pink everyday on instargram or just talking to friends and family about the cause. So many stores and restaurants participate, creating a great way to bring up the conversation about being checked out and such. So even though October is almost over, don't let the awareness stop being spread! Honor those who have passed, celebrate the survivors, and raise awareness!


I hope this post was helpful in some way! Please share this also! The more people who are aware the better! "Let's fight Breast Cancer, starting with you!" -Worldwide Breast Cancer


No comments:

Post a Comment