Wednesday, October 19, 2016

"Vienna Waits For You" | Stressing About the Future

Hello lovely reader! I hope you are doing well. This is kind of a spur of the moment post but I feel that it may be something that many of you can relate to. Lately I have been feeling very stressed, stressed about the future. The decisions that I am starting to have to make and consider are definitely "adult-life" decisions. From looking for internships in the fashion industry and thinking about how this will affect my career path goals, the future is starting to seem more daunting than it did maybe a year ago.
I think a lot of this stress comes from pressure I put on myself, I dream big and have high aspirations for what I want the future to bring, and now that the time has come to start choosing the stones that I will use to create my path, I'm worried about making the wrong decision. I've always been so excited to get out of school and get into the industry, pedal to the medal ready to go, but now that these times are approaching, I feel afraid to shift the gears and drive. Self-doubt starts to creep in, I want everything to work out but I know that the future is unknown. The countless stories I hear from people who are in the industry about how their career path was no where near what they thought about when they were in school is something that I have to keep reminding myself. My parents and those around me are continually telling me to calm down and slow down with all my worries and thoughts of the future, stay present and enjoy where I'm at now. So keeping all of this in mind, the other day I was driving and the song "Vienna" by Billy Joel, (Ariana Grande's cover to be specific) came on. I have always loved this song but as I listened to the lyrics line by line, I couldn't help but think they well were perfectly describing exactly where I was at and how I was feeling. When I got back to my apartment I looked up the meaning behind the song and found this,




  • On another Howard Stern appearance Joel said that the song came to him very quickly, in what he called "a Promethean moment." Describing his message in the song, he explained: "It was an observation that you have your whole life to live. I lot of people in their 20s think they have to get it all together by their 30s and they kill themselves trying to get the golden ring. You have an entire life to live. The lyrics, 'slow down you crazy child' - in other words, you have a whole life. We tend to put older people away, and it's all about young people. Well, wait a minute, why do I have this whole lifespan? What's the point of it? Some people will get there sooner, and some people will get there later. Slow down, you're going to be fine. No matter what you do, be good at it, and whenever you get there, you get there." -Source
Mr. Joel's explanation of his song could not describe what I had been needing to be reminded any better. The feeling like you've got to have it all together, yup pretty much me. This is one of the reasons why I love music, I have loved this song for years but it wasn't until the other day that it truly had meaning to me and I felt like I "got it"! It was perfectly describing what I had been feeling. Yes, the future is coming, but all my worries about what my life is going to be in the next five years and ten years needs to slow down! Things will happen as they are meant to and I will get to where I'm meant to be when the time is right and how it is meant to happen. I also remind myself that I am blessed to have the opportunities that are causing me stress! There are two quotes that I have learned that I truly believe and try to remind myself in times when I let worries about the future takeover,


I invite you to take a listen to the song and check out the lyrics.






Ariana Grande's Cover


So if you have felt this way I would love for you to share your experiences or advice for other readers! And if you are currently feeling this way, try to remind yourself of those two quotes and remember the lyrics of Mr. Billy Joel! Just be, the future will happen as it is meant to and in its own timing. Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment