Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Beautiful Little Fool

Over the summer I read "The Great Gatsby" for the first time. Yes I was one of those people who had never read it but quickly decided to once it was announced that there would be a movie remake coming out. But I must say that I liked the book and will take it as one of my favorites for the rest of my life. (Maybe that could be a post, favorite books, hmm) Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed the book, so I was excited to see the movie.


I saw it in theaters in 3D and I have to say that it was one of the most well done 3D movies that I have seen. In fact it was unlike anything I had ever seen. If there is one word I can use to describe the movie it is GORGEOUS! The sets, costumes, the hair, the makeup, the music, all simply stunning. So of course when it came out on DVD I bought it. I recently reread and rewatched and I am still in love. There is so much detail and while watching it a second time I feel like I picked up on more little things.


One particularly special surprise that I discovered is that the same songs are played multiple times throughout the movie, but in different versions. My absolute favorite songs from the soundtrack is "Young & Beautiful" sung by Lana Del Ray. As I watched the film for the second time I noticed that not only is there the original version of this song, but there is a slow more dreamy version, and also a jazz version. I personally love how the music is a combination of classic and modern. The album combines people from all genres of music. 


 
This song is perfect for the scene in which it is in, I love it!

The sets and costumes are ridiculously pretty. There is a special feature on the DVD that I enjoyed where they discuss all the fashion and designers that worked with the costume department to recreate the 1920s feel. Tiffany & Co, Brooks Brothers, and Prada were some of the designers that worked hand in hand with the stylists to create the perfect looks. Amazing! (Daisy's headpiece, those bracelets, fabulous) Also, if anyone who had a hand in creating those looks is searching for someone to have them I will definitely take each and every crystal encrusted or shimmering chiffon dress that is not needed!!


 So if you're looking for something to read, watch, or listen to definitively give "The Great Gatsby" a go ol'sport! Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment